via LAGAR listserv (announcement reproduced in full below):
Lesbian Herstory Archives Internships
The Lesbian Herstory Archives (located in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NYC) is looking for students who are interested in gaining library and/or archives experience with a demonstrated interest in Lesbian Studies, History and Activism. We have a number of exciting ongoing projects for the upcoming academic year. Students must be currently enrolled in an M.L.S., Archival or DAM studies program to apply. This is an unpaid internship opportunity.
What We’re Offering
- Interns will have the opportunity for practical application of archives and library skills.
- Course credit and letters of recommendation will be provided upon request.
- Interns will also receive the opportunity to attend professional training workshops and classes outside of LHA
- Interns will be supervised by professional librarians and other archives professionalstaff
- Lunch will be provided
- Availability for at least one full 8/hr week day per week.
- Completion of core Library Science courses /Archives Management
- Familiarity with cataloging, database data entryand archival processing
- Skilled in the use of MS Office and/or Google Docs and regular office equipment (copier, scanner, etc)
- Accustomed to working in a Windows/PC environment
Collection Processing & Cataloging (Periodicals, Video Tape, Books)
Intern will process incoming donated materials, update cataloging records, prepare collections for off-site storage and contribute to the collection management meetings & creation of the operating procedures manual.
Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) Project
Interns will perform database cleanup in a variety of collections and contribute to the design, testing and launch of the LHA’s new OPAC.
Interns will assist with the cataloging, digitization, indexing and re-housing of spoken word and oral history audio tapes.
Interns will work in a team with professional web developers to overhaul the LHA website. Students will have the opportunity to attend coding courses and access other web-development related instruction. Experience with introduction level CSS/HTML coding is required. Experience using Square Space (or a similar web development platform) preferred.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please read the instructions below very carefully.
Candidates must submit a Cover Letter (indicating skills, experience, relevant interests & availability) and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the phrase “Internship – Fall 2014”. All documents must be attached as a PDF.
NOTE: LHA cannot provide housing for interns. LHA will provide confirmation of internship acceptance for candidates who may need this documentation to accompany a grant or fellowship application.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
submitted by roundtable member Jill Snyder.